Recent Storm Damage Posts
Faster to Any Size Disaster: Storm Damage
Fast Service - Provided by SERVPRO® of Montebello (323) 215-1997
Emergency Storm Damage
This construction site suffered a widespread emergency storm damage. While the construction was well on its way, so was the rain. The roof wasn't reinforced yet, and the tarping was minimal. Was it enough for the heavy storm that was on its way?
That night heavy rain came and wreaked havoc on the construction site. The next morning, workers showed up to find their whole site flooded, along with tools and supplies. There was only one company to call, SERVPRO® of Montebello.
We mobilized fast! Workers were on-site to reinforce the roof tarping for future rain and to clear any standing water from the facility. After some days, the whole site was tarped and filled with specialty drying equipment to ensure a dry construction site.
Can SERVPRO® Help You?
The job was massive but took place smoothly. Does your facility need emergency services? Call SERVPRO®, we're here to help with restoration, remediation, and sanitation.
Call Us: (323) 215-1997
Prepare Your Business for LA Storms!
SERVPRO of Montebello provides roof tarping, board-up services, and flood and fire restoration.
During storm season in Montebello, CA we see heavy rains, flooding, lighting, and wind! Any one of these storm types could easily cause damage to your business. Without proper preparation, such damage could cause business interruption. It is important to know the different damages that a storm can cause and how you can prepare.
- Wind Damage: Roof damage in this situation may cause your roof shingles to be removed from your business, causing leaks. Even a subtle roof leak can produce damp, moldy conditions. Restoration experts at SERVPRO of Montebello can help property owners address storm damage and roof damage more effectively.
- Flood Damage: Heavy rains in Montebello, CA can cause flooding. Flooding may disrupt municipal water systems which call for experts to assess groundwater and evaluate the condition of pipes following flood damage. SERVPRO of Montebello has assisted in the cleanup process after flood damage has occurred at various locations.
- Lighting Damage: When a storm occurs, many times it brings the loud sounds of thunder which means lighting is striking. Your business may have objects attached to the building that can attract a lightning strike that can cause a fire. Lightning strikes cause about 2% of all fires.
How to Prepare for Storms:
SERVPRO of Montebello provides roof tarping, board-up services, and flood and fire restoration. We're here to help if your business suffers a loss during an LA Storm. Call us at (323) 215-1997
What To Do If A Tree Falls On Your House?
What needs to happen if a tree falls on your home?
When a tree falls on your roof, it causes many problems: it damages your home’s structure, exposes your home to the elements, & increases the risk of other damage from electrical sources. What is the process when a tree falls on your roof?
- Contact the necessary people. You'll want to call your insurance company to consider coverage. You'll also want to contact a Roofer and a Tree Removal company. Can SERVPRO® help? We sure can! We're able to perform tarping as well as water restoration if the interior of your house was exposed to the elements.
- Remove the tree. This might seem like an obvious step, but we can't address the problem until the damaged area of your roof has been cleared.
- Tarp exposed areas. A fallen tree will likely cause damage to your roof, leaving it exposed. To ensure outside elements don’t get in and cause more damage, tarping temporarily protects your home.
- Contact a roofing company. Even if the roof is tarped, you’ll need to contact a roofing company to determine the next phase of repairs.
A fallen tree can cause a lot of damage and headache, but with the above steps, you can get your life back on track. Leave it to SERVPRO®, we'll make it "Like it never even happened."
For Tree Removal or Tarping Services, call SERVPRO® of Montebello at (323) 215-1997
What Should I do if Lightning Strikes?
Are you prepared for a lightning strike?
Lightning can strike at any time of the year, however, the chance for strikes increases during the summer months. Stay safe as well as protect your property with these basic tips from SERVPRO of Montebello:
- Have a lightning safety plan, and cancel/postpone outdoor activities if thunderstorms are expected. Lightning can hit trees and split them into the roads or onto cars.
- If you do get caught outside, avoid high ground, open spaces, and all metal objects including electric wires, fences, etc. Seek shelter in a substantial building or a fully enclosed metal vehicle.
- If you are indoors, stay away from doors and windows. Do not use the telephone and consider unplugging computers, power tools, & TV sets. Lightning may strike exterior electric/phone lines, inducing shocks to inside equipment.
It is rare to see lightning in a storm in Southern California but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be prepared for it. Should your home sustain damage from a storm call us at (323) 215-1997.
How to Prevent Roof Leaks
What can you do if your roof is leaking?
Maintenance is crucial for the longevity of your roof. Being exposed to all elements of weather can take a toll on your roof. What can you do if your roof is leaking? Inspecting it yourself can seem daunting, and hiring a roofer may be costly. Is there a simpler solution?
What to Do During a Storm:
If you catch a leak during a storm...
- Locate the Source of the Leak
If you don't have a leak detector, infrared camera, or infrared camera app, you can locate the source manually.
Leaks most commonly occur near roof protrusions such as chimneys, vents, plumbing, or anything protruding through your roofing material. Look closely for water staining. If it's currently raining you may be able to trace the drips.
Once you've located the leak, take the necessary measures to prevent further damage. Use a bucket or pan to collect dripping water. If water is pooling in ceiling, a small puncture will relieve the pressure and allow the water to drain.
Use roofing materials such as traps, sandbags, or boards to cover the leak and prevent water from entering home.
Prevent Future Leaks to Your Roof:
1. Check the Attic
Common attic problems could be a direct culprit to your roof leaks. During your next roof inspection, don't forget to check the attic. Signs of Mold, Soaked insulation, Stains around Nails, or Clogged Intake Vents will be clear signs.
2. Inspect, Inspect, Inspect!
Gutters, Shingles, and Protruding Parts can all lead to leaks. Clogged gutters can cause a water back up under your shingles or other roofing materials. Shingles need to be properly secured, and missing/broken shingles need to be replaced. As we learned earlier, protruding parts are the main culprits of roof leaks. Make sure the seals are tight so water can't leak through.
If you have questions regarding roof leaks, contact SERVPRO® of Montebello. We'd be happy to assist you in resolving your roof leak.
Does Dead Mold Need to Be Removed?
Mold needs moisture and humidity for it to grow.
Something that's just as bad as mold is the information we find on the internet. It's not always accurate.
This is especially true with the topic of mold. It's often misunderstood, as is the process of how to safely eradicate mold. This is primarily because of the lack of regulation in the mold remediation industry.
Here are two common misconceptions in the mold industry:
1) Bleach Kills Mold...When bleach comes into contact with organic material its effectiveness is greatly reduced. The amount of bleach and concentration you'll need to remove mold will most likely damage the material or structure before killing the mold.
Keep in mind: Bleach is not addressing the 'cause' of the mold. If moisture and humidity issues are still present, those would need to be addressed before the mold.
2) Dead Mold Doesn't Need to Be Removed... First off, dead mold is dormant or not actively growing. It needs moisture and humidity, as stated above, for it to flourish.
Here's what some "mold professionals" are doing. They offer a "simple, kill in place solution". It may be a sort of fogging or spray. After they perform this they do not clean up the dead mold. Why? Because they know they can convince you the mold is no longer harmful. But they know it will grow back once moisture is reintroduced, and if it grows back guess who you're gonna call again? Yup those guys.
- There is no one solution to kill mold. The cause must be treated, then the mold is to be professionally mitigated so all mold, dead and growing, can be removed.
For more information on Mold contact us at: (323) 215-1997
Disasters can take allot from your home. Your belongings, family heirlooms, your furniture, piece of mind, and even your important documents. Our job is to make your house a home again and restore back to you what's possible.
Many don't realize just because their documents are water damaged doesn't mean they can't be restored. Aside from restoring your documents, we can help you prepare for a disaster by backing your documents up. Whether big or small, we help hospitals, schools, and government agencies to make sure they are protected no matter what disaster may come their way.
Contact SERVPRO® of Montebello for more information.
Tip: Store all your important documents in a fire proof file cabinet. Doing so can save you allot headaches.